I’ve been making my own deodorant for about a year now with great success, so I was excited to come across Truly’s Natural Deodorant, which is perfect for those of you who’d rather not make your own!
What’s the point of using a natural deodorant? I decided to only use natural when I learned of the harmful effects of aluminum in commercial anti-perspirant deodorants – it’s an endocrine disruptor, and may contribute to thyroid and reproductive cancers and problems. It’s practically the same as my homemade recipe, but they add powdered sugar and beeswax.
So, why do they use powdered sugar? Here is their explaination, from their website:
The sugar in our deodorant combines with your own perspiration to create a hyper osmotic solution that prevents odor causing bacterial growth. Before antibiotics, sugar and honey were used to prevent infections in open wounds. In an article called “The Sweet Art of Healing”, Dr. Julian Whitaker explains why they work:
“When sugar or honey is packed on top of and inside of an open wound, it dissolves in the fluid exuding from the wound, creating a hyperosmotic, or highly concentrated, medium. Bacteria cannot live in a hyperosmotic environment any more than a goldfish could survive in the Great Salt Lake. Scientists have tested the viability of many types of bacteria, including Klebsiella, Shigella, Staphylococcus aureus, and Streptococcus pyogenes, and none of them have been able to survive in a honey or sugar solution.”
Overall, I found it to be a pretty good deodorant, keeping most of the stink and sweat away. And it is far better to use this product than traditional deodorants, for the reasons I mentioned above, though. I’m very happy to see a true natural deodorant hit the market and hope it makes its way into stores so the general public will be exposed to a much safer product. I’d give it a 7 out of 10, and here’s why!
- Made from organic coconut oil
- 100% natural ingredients with no added chemicals – just baking soda, powdered sugar, coconut oil, and beeswax
- Easy to apply with the weather is warmer (70 degrees indoors or warmer) because the coconut oil starts to soften at this temperature
- Perspiration – I did not find that it did a good job preventing stickiness, even now in the middle of winter.
- Skin Irritation – It can NOT be used right after shaving, as it greatly irritated my skin. However, it does say on the packaging to not use on broken skin, so we are pre-warned. There have been several days where I did smell at the end of the day with Truly’s deodorant.
- Application – if the temperature in your house is colder than about 65 degrees, then you’ll need to use the back of your thumbnail to scrape off enough for good coverage, which I found to be easy enough to do.
I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.