Looking for a healthy alternative to store-bought jello mixes? I’ve just just the thing for you, and it’s so easy to make you’ll wonder why you ever bought the mix as there’s no stovetop involved! It’s also kid-friendly and immune-supporting if you add essential oils to it.
Did you know that jello can be a healthy food, that actually benefits the digestive system, hair and nail growth, and can tighten and firm the skin? Well, obviously not the chemical-laden version bought in powder in the store, but one made with gelatin made from grass-fed cows and your own fruit juice. I don’t often make it from fresh fruit, though I’d like to once I get around to buying a good juicer. But I do, however, love to buy the organic apple and grape juices from my local grocery store. They are not made from concentrate (be aware – juices made from concentrate DO have sugar added but they don’t have to report it – read more here).
This is a treat my kids ask me to make them about once a week or so – they love it! And I don’t feel guilty as there are no dyes, no sugar, and no high fructose corn syrup. It has seriously helped to grow my nails, which before now, have been dry, brittle and break off. They are much stronger when I eat this jello or put the gelatin in my herbal tea at night.
The trick to make it dissolve quickly and to not have to use the stove, is to pour the gelatin into a bowl and cover it with warm water. Stir and let it sit for about 2-3 minutes, or until it thickens and becomes like a syrup.
Most jello recipes call for a 1/4 cup or so of citrus juices for added flavor. It really brightens the flavor of the sweet juice, but if you use lemon and orange essential oils (or lime, grapefruit or Citrus Fresh), it makes it incredibly easy and just 1-2 drops of each is all you need! Lemon and orange are both very high in antioxidants, with lemon having 68% d-Limonene, which is one of the strongest antioxidants! Antioxidants help to combat free radicals which we come into contact with on a daily basis – from processed foods, household cleaners, candles, air fresheners, paint, carpet and the list goes on and on. In other words, we need to use things daily that help combat free radicals, and essential oils do exactly that. So, this is an excellent thing to make when your children need extra immune support.
- 1¾ cups freshly juiced fruit juice or 100% organic juice not from concentrate, warmed (grape, apple, blueberry, orange, pineapple, and grape-apple all work well)
- ¼ cup hot (almost boiling) water
- 1 tablespoon of Kosher pasture-raised Gelatin Powder (buy here)
- Note: Can double recipe.
- 1 drop each of Young Living lemon and orange essential oils, or two drops of orange, lemon or Citrus Fresh
- Note - I usually double this recipe
- In a medium bowl, pour in the tablespoon of gelatin powder.
- Add just enough warm juice (but not all of it) to cover the gelatin and stir well. Let sit for 2-3 minutes or until it forms a thick syrup.
- Next, add the ¼ cup of boiling water (I use an electric tea kettle) and stir well.
- Once the gelatin has fully dissolved, add the rest of the juice and drops of essential oil and stir well
- Pour into a pan lined with parchment paper and let it cool in the refrigerator for 2 hours, or until the top is firm.
- Slice and serve!