This pattern will make a hat to fit a toddler – 12 months to 3 years. To make the hat smaller or larger, add or decrease the increasing rows. (I’ve marked the increasing rows below, or see my pattern for babies here). To make a hat to fit another size, see my post on Crochet and Knit Hat Measurements and how to calculate them. If you’re going to make the hat larger, I suggest adding another row to the brim to make it wider.
Toddler Size Hat – 12 months to 3 years
(a printer friendly PDF version is coming soon!)
Granny Stitch Sun Hat
Written and Designed by Sara McFall of My Merry Messy Life
- Hook: G, 4.25 mm (any hook size larger will make a huge hat!)
- Yarn: Worsted Weight, Medium 4. I used Red Heart Super Saver in Perfect Pink, Aruba Sea, Light Coral, Medium Purple, White, and Yellow.
- SL ST = slip stitch
HDC = half double crochet
CH = chain
Crown of Hat:
(I used one color to stitch the crown of the hat)
CH 3, join with a SL ST to form a ring
(read my other post on “How to Work in the Round” if you need more help)
- Round 1: CH 1 (counts as first HDC). Work 11 HDC in ring (12 HDC total). Join to beginning CH 1 with a SL ST.
- Round 2 (increasing round): CH 1. In same stitch, work 1 HDC. In next stitch, work 2 HDC. Work 2 HDC in each stitch all the way around (24 HDC total). Join to beginning CH 1 with a SL ST.
- Round 3: CH 1. In the next stitch, work 1 HDC (counts as first HDC). Work 1 HDC in each stitch around (24 HDC total). Join to beginning CH 1 with a SL ST.
- Round 4 (increasing round): CH 1 (counts as first HDC). In next stitch, work 2 HDC. *In next stitch, work 1 HDC. In next stitch, work 2 HDC.* Repeat from * all the way around (36 HDC total). Join to beginning CH 1 with a SL ST.
- Round 5: (make this another increasing round if you want the hat to be bigger for child older than 3 years, otherwise continue the instructions outside of the parenthesis – 1 HDC, 1 HDC, 2 HDC all the way around). CH 1, in the next stitch, work 1 HDC. Work 1 HDC in each stitch around (36 total HDC).
(switch colors now)
Join your new color to the opposite side of where you ended the last round. Join with a SL ST and CH 1.
Work 3 HDC in the same ST, and CH 1.
SK 2 HDC spaces.
*Work 4 HDC in the next stitch and CH 1.
SK 2 HDC spaces.*
Repeat from * all the way around and join to beginning CH 1 with a SL ST.
Repeat rows of this Granny Stitch until your hat reaches its desired height!
How to Change Colors
To change colors for each round, continue to join in a different place than the previous color and follow the directions above.
To Keep the Same Color
To keep the same color, eliminate the last CH 1 and join to beginning Granny Stitch with a SL ST. Then, CH 1 and work 3 HDC in same space (it’s a little awkward feeling, but it evens out as you work your way around and makes a seamless join!).
To work the brim, please see my next post on working Sun Hat brims.
To see the pattern for babies, click here.