When our kids started school in a new country, we had no idea how much of a culture shock it would be when we had to buy German school supplies. In this video, we invited one of our sons to help explain this surprising culture shock.
Who Knew German School Supplies Could be So Different?
When we moved to Germany in February of 2021, we were expecting to experience culture shocks but one thing that surprised us was how different the school supplies are here! It was like learning a whole new language. Many of the terms can’t be directly translated, and we had to learn what they are and how they’re used. Also, if you’re a foreigner who has moved to Germany and you’re LOST in the world of “Hefts,” this video can be a guide for you!
Watch all of the videos about our experience in German schools here:
- How Our American Kids are Doing in German Grundschule (Elementary School)
- How Our American Kids Got into a German Gymnasium – Part I
- How Our American Kids Got into a German Gymnasium (Secondary School) – Part II
- German Kindergarten was NOT What We Expected
- What is German School like for Our American Kids?
- Surprising German Culture Shocks (many of them are about school)
- German Kindergarten Culture Shocks
- German Grundschule Culture Shocks
- Our American Kids Are Getting a Better Math Education in Germany
- Our Kids’ First Year of German School Just Ended – How Was It?
- Our Top German School Culture Shocks
In February of 2021, we packed up our American family of six, with four kids ages 11 and under, and moved halfway across the world to Germany to follow our dream of living in Europe again! When we were first married, we lived for two years in France and fell in love with the European way of life. Moving to Germany has been a whirlwind, especially with four kids in tow, but we’re already growing stronger and better from the experiences we are having. It has NOT been easy, but that’s how it usually is in life when you go after your dreams!
If you’d like to see our whole journey to getting here and to follow along with our travels, join our email list below (at the bottom of this post) to get one email each week with our latest post and YouTube video!
Like Hearing About Our Adventures?
Check out all of the blog posts I’ve written and videos we’ve recorded for YouTube by clicking here. You can watch them from the beginning to current day!