After moving to Germany from the southern part of the United States, I didn’t know how well I would deal with the cold and long months of winter in Europe. But I’ve learned to love winter in Germany.
Practicing Hygge & Gemütlichkeit ASMR
Coming from a very warm climate (Georgia, USA) to Germany, I was worried I might hate the colder and much darker days of winter here. I set an intention before arriving that somehow I was going to learn to love the winter. I didn’t want to spend 4-6 months out of every year wishing the months away for spring. I wanted to enjoy it!
So, I began to learn all about Hygge from the Scandinavians and learned even more about how to love being outside from German culture through Gemütlichkeit. Here’s what they’ve both taught me about how to enjoy the winter. Plus, you’ll get some beautiful winter music and cinematic footage to encourage you to get cozy. Learning to enjoy each season is a choice that we can make.
Watch all of our videos about living in Germany as Americans
- Life in Germany vs. USA – 10 Things We Don’t Have in Germany
- Life in Germany vs. USA – 10 Things We Have in Germany, but Didn’t Have in America
- How Life is Different in Germany as Americans
- What Our American Kids Think of Life in Germany
- Buying a Car in Germany as Americans
- Surprising German Culture Shocks as Americans
- 20 Things We Missed about Germany While Being in the USA
- Problems with my German Resident Permit, Driver’s License & Health Insurance
- Have Our German Skills Improved Since Last Year?
- Foreign Language Anxiety & How We Conquered Them
- Celebrating One Year Living in Germany
- Moving to Germany from the USA – One Year Later
- 15 Reasons Why We Chose to Move to Germany
In February of 2021, we packed up our American family of six, with four kids ages 11 and under, and moved halfway across the world to Germany to follow our dream of living in Europe again! When we were first married, we lived for two years in France and fell in love with the European way of life. Moving to Germany has been a whirlwind, especially with four kids in tow, but we’re already growing stronger and better from the experiences we are having. It has NOT been easy, but that’s how it usually is in life when you go after your dreams!
If you’d like to see our whole journey to getting here and to follow along with our travels, join our email list below (at the bottom of this post) to get one email each week with our latest post and YouTube video!
Like Hearing About Our Adventures?
Check out all of the blog posts I’ve written and videos we’ve recorded for YouTube by clicking here. You can watch them from the beginning to current day!