As you know, we have four children, and we’ve experienced many culture shocks since moving from America to Germany in February 2021. The biggest and probably most significant changes have been from our kids attending school in a foreign country. In this video, we share our top 10 biggest German school culture shocks.
It’s Surprisingly Different in Germany vs. the USA
Our four American kids have gone through a year and a half in German public schools, and now we share our top school culture shocks! There are quite a few differences, many of which we didn’t expect before arriving. Things like how lunch is done, teaching methods, school supplies, desks and lockers, and more!
Watch all of the videos about our experience in German schools here:
- How Our American Kids are Doing in German Grundschule (Elementary School)
- How Our American Kids Got into a German Gymnasium – Part I
- How Our American Kids Got into a German Gymnasium (Secondary School) – Part II
- German Kindergarten was NOT What We Expected
- What is German School like for Our American Kids?
- Surprising German Culture Shocks (many of them are about school)
- German Kindergarten Culture Shocks
- German Grundschule Culture Shocks
- Our American Kids Are Getting a Better Math Education in Germany
- Our Kids’ First Year of German School Just Ended – How Was It?
In February of 2021, we packed up our American family of six, with four kids ages 11 and under, and moved halfway across the world to Germany to follow our dream of living in Europe again! When we were first married, we lived for two years in France and fell in love with the European way of life. Moving to Germany has been a whirlwind, especially with four kids in tow, but we’re already growing stronger and better from the experiences we are having. It has NOT been easy, but that’s how it usually is in life when you go after your dreams!
If you’d like to see our whole journey to getting here and to follow along with our travels, join our email list below (at the bottom of this post) to get one email each week with our latest post and YouTube video!
Like Hearing About Our Adventures?
Check out all of the blog posts I’ve written and videos we’ve recorded for YouTube by clicking here. You can watch them from the beginning to current day!