This pattern will make a hat to fit a toddler – 12 months to 3 years. To make the hat smaller or larger, add or decrease the increasing rows. (I’ve marked the increasing rows below, or see my pattern for babies here). To make a hat to fit another size, see my post on Crochet and Knit Hat Measurements and how to calculate them. If you’re going to make the hat larger, I suggest adding another row to the brim to make it wider.
Toddler Size Hat – 12 months to 3 years
(a printer friendly PDF version is coming soon!)
Granny Stitch Sun Hat
Written and Designed by Sara McFall of My Merry Messy Life
- Hook: G, 4.25 mm (any hook size larger will make a huge hat!)
- Yarn: Worsted Weight, Medium 4. I used Red Heart Super Saver in Perfect Pink (where to buy), Aruba Sea (where to buy), Light Coral (where to buy), Medium Purple (where to buy), White (where to buy), and Yellow (where to buy).
HDC = half double crochet
CH = chain
Crown of Hat:
(I used one color to stitch the crown of the hat)
CH 3, join with a SL ST to form a ring
(read my other post on “How to Work in the Round” if you need more help)
- Round 1: CH 1 (counts as first HDC). Work 11 HDC in ring (12 HDC total). Join to beginning CH 1 with a SL ST.
- Round 2 (increasing round): CH 1. In same stitch, work 1 HDC. In next stitch, work 2 HDC. Work 2 HDC in each stitch all the way around (24 HDC total). Join to beginning CH 1 with a SL ST.
- Round 3: CH 1. In the next stitch, work 1 HDC (counts as first HDC). Work 1 HDC in each stitch around (24 HDC total). Join to beginning CH 1 with a SL ST.
- Round 4 (increasing round): CH 1 (counts as first HDC). In next stitch, work 2 HDC. *In next stitch, work 1 HDC. In next stitch, work 2 HDC.* Repeat from * all the way around (36 HDC total). Join to beginning CH 1 with a SL ST.
- Round 5: (make this another increasing round if you want the hat to be bigger for child older than 3 years, otherwise continue the instructions outside of the parenthesis – 1 HDC, 1 HDC, 2 HDC all the way around). CH 1, in the next stitch, work 1 HDC. Work 1 HDC in each stitch around (36 total HDC).
(switch colors now)
Join your new color to the opposite side of where you ended the last round. Join with a SL ST and CH 1.
Work 3 HDC in the same ST, and CH 1.
SK 2 HDC spaces.
*Work 4 HDC in the next stitch and CH 1.
SK 2 HDC spaces.*
Repeat from * all the way around and join to beginning CH 1 with a SL ST.
Repeat rows of this Granny Stitch until your hat reaches its desired height!
How to Change Colors
To change colors for each round, continue to join in a different place than the previous color and follow the directions above.
To Keep the Same Color
To keep the same color, eliminate the last CH 1 and join to beginning Granny Stitch with a SL ST. Then, CH 1 and work 3 HDC in same space (it’s a little awkward feeling, but it evens out as you work your way around and makes a seamless join!).
To work the brim, please see my next post on working Sun Hat brims.
To see the pattern for babies, click here.