Here is a recipe for one amazing bath soak experience – you’ll be transported to a garden at the height of spring, with all the flowers in bloom, while feeling the stress and anxiety of the day ease from your muscles and joints. It is also an aphrodisiac blend you can use to bring you closer to someone special!
There is nothing like a relaxing bath at the end of a long day. Especially when I’ve spent the entire day chasing children around (which is every day!), or most recently, unpacking endless amounts of boxes during our move. I try soaking in the tub with epsom salts before taking pain killers and almost 100% of the time, it works to relax my muscles and ease the pain and I don’t need any medicine. The combination of the warm water and the salts is the key.
What the Heck are Epsom Salts?
Have you been introduced to truly magical epsom salts? Well, allow me properly introduce you (that’s said with my nose stuck up in the air and with a British accent). They have been a staple in my bathroom for several years now. My midwife, when I was pregnant with my first son four years ago, suggested them and I’ve loved them ever since! They are really easy and inexpensive to buy at all major drug and grocery stores, usually in the bathing aisle. A cool tidbit – they are called Epsom because they originally came from the town, Epsom in Surrey, England from a spring that produced the naturally occurring mineral. It contains magnesium, which is absorbed into the skin and reduces inflammation. Simple as that.
Dead Sea Salts Are Anything But Dead
Yep, Dead Sea Salts, not just sea salts. Salt from the Dead Sea in Israel is truly different than the salt found in other oceans, containing 29% salt making it much denser than the normal ocean water which contains only 4%. See the full chemical composition if you wish, here. People have been using it for thousands of years to cure skin ailments and auto immune diseases like arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. It has been reported to help heal acne, scars, and psoriasis and, in fact, the National Psoriasis Foundation actually recommends a visit to the Dead Sea or the use of Dead Sea salts soaks as an effective treatment for psoriasis. Wow! Nature’s cure.
About the Oils
I got my inspiration from [amazon_link id="B005VSXUQM" target="_blank" ]Plant Therapy’s Sensual Synergy Aphrodisiac Blend[/amazon_link] of essential oils, but already had most of the oils in my cabinet already, so I made my own version. If you want it to be really easy, just [amazon_link id="B005VSXUQM" target="_blank" ]buy their version here[/amazon_link]!
The salts have no fragrance or smell, so I’ve resorted to adding it in the form of powerful essential oils to make my own aphrodisiac, sensual blend that also smells like a heavenly spring garden. Not to get too personal or anything, but my husband and I like to use this mix to get things goin’! I’m very very sensitive to smells as I have the nose of a bloodhound, so this mix really works to relax and make me feel happy as it just smells that wonderful!
Please note that it is important to store this (unlike the pretty picture – it’s like cleaning your dirty kids up one day for pictures only to have them jump back in the mud as soon as it’s over!) in a dark, well sealed container as oxygen and light break down essential oils and cause them to deteriorate. Also, glass is best as EO’s are so powerful and will warp plastic (speaking from experience here!).
- 20 drops [amazon_link id="B005V4ZO0G" target="_blank" ]Orange Essential Oil[/amazon_link]
- 5 drops [amazon_link id="B005V22SEI" target="_blank" ]Lavender Essential Oil[/amazon_link]
- 10 drops [amazon_link id="B005V4ZPEG" target="_blank" ]Patchouli Essential Oil[/amazon_link]
- 10 drops [amazon_link id="B005V2UJ3U" target="_blank" ]Cedarwood Essential Oil[/amazon_link]
- 5 drops [amazon_link id="B005V2UK2A" target="_blank" ]Ylang Ylang Essential Oil[/amazon_link]
- 10 drops [amazon_link id="B005V4ZNMU" target="_blank" ]Bergamot Essential Oil[/amazon_link]
- 2 cups epsom salts or 1 cup epsom salts and 1 cup [amazon_link id="B004GIMUL4" target="_blank" ]pure Dead Sea salts[/amazon_link]
- Pour one cup of the salts into a container.
- Add all of the essential oils, close the lid, and shake to mix.
- Pour the rest of the salts on top and shake vigorously to mix the oils in completely.
- Makes enough for 8 baths, using ¼ cup at a time.
- Store in a dark, well sealed container or in a dark cabinet as oxygen and light break down essential oils and cause them to deteriorate.
Now go enjoy a well-deserved, nice long soak in the tub!