A simple and easy recipe for a luxurious bubble bath that’s free of artificial fragrances and dyes! This takes only a few minutes to make and is the perfect gift to give the ladies in your life.
Baths are a way I fill my cup every day. I have grown to love and even crave them! As a mama of four littles, I have found that I have to find ways to take care of myself each day in order to be the best mama to my kiddos. But I think it’s important for everyone to do things each day that bring us joy, that fill our cups as we are all giving to others whether it’s in your job, at home, to your friends, family, spouse, etc.
For more self care tips, check out these articles here on my blog:
- 5 Self Care Tips for Moms
- Top 10 Tips for Emotional Freedom
- 5 Simple and Natural Ways to Get Amazing Sleep
Why I Stopped Using Store-Bought Bubble Baths
Many of the bubble baths in the stores contain ingredients like parabens, artificial fragrances, dyes and detergents that are very irritating to the skin, eyes, nose and lungs. I only use essential oils to scent my home and beauty products now, and have gotten to the point where I can spot artificial fragrances a mile away and they often make me feel nauseous and give me a headache!
And the natural bubble baths in the store are pretty pricey, so I knew I could make it at home a lot more cheaply!
I highly recommend using the Think Dirty app (it’s free!) to scan or type in the products you have or are thinking of buying to see what their toxicity rating is. You might be shocked!
Let’s look at one that’s commonly found in drugstores and big box stores, and is deceiving because it has lavender and chamomile in it (which are artifical) – Baby Magic. It gets a rating of 7 out of 10 for toxicity. Why?
Is it any wonder that more and more children are getting cancer and have autoimmune diseases that only the elderly used to have? I think not. It’s sad, but with some education, we can change what we put on our own bodies and give our children!
Here’s the cost breakdown:
- 1/2 cup of Castile Soap – $1.25
- 1/2 cup vegetable glycerin – $1.50
- I buy 16 oz of vegetable glycerin for about $6.00 on Amazon. That’s $1.50 per half cup.
- If you buy a gallon, it’s about .15 cents an ounce, so that’d be even cheaper at $0.60!
- 10 drops of lavender – 94 cents
- ($23.50 for a 15 ml bottle of lavender, which has approx. 250 drops) = $0.094 per drop. That’s 94 cents for the oil! Super cheap
- 1/2 cup water – pretty much free!
- TOTAL COST: $3.69 for 12 ounces compared to the natural bubble baths online which run about $10-$12 for 12 ounces
- 1/4 cup vegetable glycerine
- 1/2 cup castile soap
- 1/2 cup water
- (optional) 10 drops or so of your favorite, relaxing essential oils (see below)
- Cute swing top glass bottle in the picture – get here
Super easy – just pour into a mason jar or glass bottle (plastic will work if it’s HDPE or PETE plastic) and put about 1/2 cup or so in your bath and enjoy!
Essential Oils to Use
There are many relaxing scents that are perfect for a bath. My favorites are: Harmony, Release, Joy and Stress Away blends (from Young Living). I also like lavender, cedarwood and Frankincense. Essential oils affect the limbic system in the brain which controls memories and emotions, so they really do work to help you calm down and relax after a stressful day.
I only use Young Living essential oils – they are my fav! They are the highest quality and most effective oils I’ve ever used, and believe me, I’ve used a ton of other brands! You can get them through me as a wholesale member or as a customer, here.