Homemade Toilet Bowl Cleaner Recipe – Non Toxic

A super duper easy recipe for making your own non-toxic and natural toilet bowl cleaner that really works. Bonus is that you won’t have to call poison control when your cute little toddler decides it might be a tasty drink!

My Merry Messy Life: Non Toxic Homemade Toilet Bowl Cleaner

I love making my own cleaning supplies. First of all, they are WAY cheaper than the toxic, and very pricey non-toxic products you buy in the stores because most of the cleaners are of mostly water. Secondly, I’m not exposing myself or my family to all of the toxic chemicals readily found in nearly all of the products, eliminating the need to rush to the emergency room if one of my kids decides to take a swig of one of the cleaners (see my guide for getting started on making your own here).

I’ve almost completely switched over to making my own cleaning and beauty products at home to get rid of toxic chemicals in my house, but have been holding out on the toilet bowl cleaner. I’ve tried just sprinkling in some baking soda or borax, but wasn’t terribly happy with the results. I wanted something that cleaned just a bit better and a recipe finally came to me!

Non-Toxic Toilet Bowl Cleaner Recipe gets the toilet squeaky clean!

There aren’t too many artistic pictures one can take of the crapper.

But first, I’d like to share what the EWG* (Environmental Working Group) rates my old favorite toilet bowl cleaner – Lysol Power. They (a team of scientists) test cosmetic and cleaning products and give them a grade based on the toxicity of their ingredients and my old, go-to toilet bowl cleaner gets a big fat F (read the report here). That’s bad, folks, bad! The first ingredient, Sodium Hypochlorite, gets and F for “developmental/endocrine/reproductive effects, damage to vision, cancer, kidney and urinary effects, nervous system effects, digestive system effects,” among other things. I know this has splashed in my eyes several times as I scrub the bowl with the brush, so that’s pretty scary considering it causes vision damage.

That’s more than enough to convince me to make my own! And here’s my recipe. Just mix all the ingredients in a squirt bottle (I used an old body soap bottle). I use it just like I would the old stuff and squirt it around the top of the bowl, then scrub with a toilet brush. The castile soap works great to get it shiny and clean (have you been properly introduced to castile soap yet? It totally ROCKS, so much so that I wrote a whole post about it!), the baking soda is excellent for scrubbing without scratching the finish, and the essential oils leave a wonderful scent behind and help to disinfect. This recipe makes 16 ounces, or 2 cups.

Non-Toxic Toilet Bowl Cleaner Recipe - Ingredients

Ingredients used in this recipe – Baking soda, castile soap and essential oils

The Recipe!

• 1/4 cup liquid castile soap – there are many different scents like lavender, almond, peppermint and more! (where to buy) (read more here about why I like Dr. Bronner’s castile soaps the best)
  • 1 3/4 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons baking soda (I buy the huge bag (where to buy) since I make so many things with baking soda
  • 8-10 drops of essential oils to kill bacteria and freshen – I like to use lemon, tea tree, eucalyptus, lavender, orange, Thieves or Purification (where to buy high quality essential oils)

Mix all ingredients in a 16 oz. or larger squirt bottle and gently shake or swish.
Squirt in the toilet bowl and use a brush to scrub it clean.

To see all of my recipes using organic castile soap, click here.

How to Purchase High Quality Essential Oils through My Merry Messy Life

Print Friendly
About Sara McFall

Sara is the owner and founder of My Merry Messy Life, which started in 2011 as a way to chronicle her journey to a natural, chemical-free lifestyle and to share her passions of mothering, real food, homeschooling and crochet. She is a mama to three precious and energetic little boys and wife to a university professor who loves to sing, dance ballet and ballroom, and live simply and naturally.

Beautycounter - My Favorite Natural Cosmetics Company

Comments

1. Bonnie Martin says:

This is a great recipe! I was looking for a nice natural substitute to the chemical toilet cleaner that I was using and I am really happy the I finally found it! Thank you for sharing! I will try it out right away! 🙂

2. Katelyn Rocha says:

Have you had any trouble with plastic container and the oils?

3. I am really looking forward to trying this out. I am interested to know if anyone has a good suggestion for a good container (sounds like glass is the best option) to store and apply it from.

• No, no. Please do not use glass for applying this or any other cleaning solution. Our hands are wet and slippery, bathrooms are porcelain, tile and ceramic. One small mistake and someone can get very badly hurt. I like recycled dish soap squirt bottles. Even Ketchup and mustard bottles work well if marked properly against accidents. Hope this helps.

• Yes, a glass spray bottle OR a plastic bottle that has either PETE or HDPE written on the bottom of it as the essential oils will eat right through the plastic.

4. I absolutely agree with you that the toxic cleaners are no good! I love to prepare my own natural cleaners. The recipe you share is really nice and it seems that there is nothing to go wrong. I use these natural cleaners for few years now and I know what good cleaners they are! 🙂 Thanks for sharing!

5. marly melsh says:

Just curious but I notice in a lot of your recupes you call for castile soap AND essential oil. Doesnt the different scents of the catile soap is included the essential oil? I dont really understand the extra step.

• The scent in Castile Soap isn’t all that strong, and the essential oils help to really get rid of nasty microorganisms. So, it’s an extra step for better cleaning.

6. Hi I am in faraway India. we do not get castile soap here. any substitutes that will be just as effective?

7. Is this corrosive to the chrome? I have a nice toilet seat with chrome hinges and am also considering using the solution on my sink. I made this and love it for using in my very tightly sealed house where I have become aware that I don’t want to use the toxic things. But I don’t like having lots of solutions around so would like to use this for as much as I can. Would it be OK for an acrylic tub? Probably not if the oils eat plastic…. Thanks!

• Hi Maria! I’ve used essential oils in my acrylic tubs with no issues at all – it doesn’t eat all types of plastic, just some of them. As for chrome, I really don’t know. I’d test it on a small part, not the essential oil by itself, but the whole solution (since it’ll be diluted).

8. Do you use 80-10 drops of all the oils listed or just pick 1 to use?

9. I’ve tried borax mixed with lemon juice, mixed into a paste. Works but you have to let it sit all night. This can be callenging if you have many people living in your house.

10. Lisa Womble says:

we have very severe orange stains from the very hard water that we have, we are on a well. I just dumped literally about 1/3 of a box bs (small one that u use in the fridge) & about 1/4 cup castille soap, hopefully this will work, nothing has yet.

11. Claire jeffery says:

I am really keen to try these recipes they look great, thank you!!! I opened a guest house at Christmas and am frequently cleaning, I thought I was using quite green shop bought cleaners but have developed an allergic reaction to them, now I look at the ingredients there seem a lot of chemicals in them! Can I ask can you use bar soap and melt/dissolve in water for the liquid soap base rather than buying the liquid soap?

12. Fabienne Rios says:

Hi, I, m using your recipe for a while now, but for me it’s too liquid. I’m more used to thicker product. Do you think I could add some gum or gelling (sorry about my english…)?
    Thanks