Here is a free crochet granny stitch sun hat pattern for toddler girls ages 12 months to three years old! Isn’t it the cutest? The crochet granny stitch allows for air to flow through the hat so it stays cool, but also protects those precious little noggins from the sun.
Such a Colorful and Fun Granny Stitch Sun Hat!
In anticipation of flip flop and tank top weather approaching, I’ve been madly crocheting colorful sun hats for little girls. I’m calling this my Sherbet Lime Hat since it reminds me of popsicles and Sherbet ice cream!
These hats just make me smile, and if I had a little girl, you bet she’d be wearing them! The Granny Stitch allows for lots of air to pass through, but will still keep most of the sun out. The brim is large enough to protect those precious little faces and necks!
This Free Crochet Granny Stitch Sun Hat Pattern is for a Toddler – 12 Months to 3 Years
This pattern will make a hat to fit a toddler – 12 months to 3 years. To make the hat smaller or larger, add or decrease the increasing rows. (I’ve marked the increasing rows below, or see my pattern for babies here).
To make a hat to fit another size, see my post on Crochet and Knit Hat Measurements and how to calculate them. If you’re going to make the hat larger, I suggest adding another row to the brim to make it wider.
Need a Free Crochet Pattern for a Sun Hat for Babies?
To see the Free Crochet Granny Stitch Sun Hat Pattern for babies, click here.
Free Crochet Granny Stitch Sun Hat Pattern
Written and Designed by Sara McFall of My Merry Messy Life
Toddler Size Sun Hat – 12 months to 3 years
- Hook: G, 4.25 mm (any hook size larger will make a huge hat!)
- Yarn: Worsted Weight, Medium 4. I used Red Heart Super Saver in Perfect Pink, Aruba Sea, Light Coral, Medium Purple, White, and Yellow.
- SL ST = slip stitch
- HDC = half double crochet
- CH = chain
Crown of Hat:
To work the crown of this free crochet granny stitch sun hat pattern, I used one color to stitch the crown of the hat.
CH 3, join with a SL ST to form a ring
(read my other post on “How to Work in the Round” if you need more help)
- Round 1: CH 1 (counts as first HDC). Work 11 HDC in ring (12 HDC total). Join to beginning CH 1 with a SL ST.
- Round 2 (increasing round): CH 1. In same stitch, work 1 HDC. In next stitch, work 2 HDC. Work 2 HDC in each stitch all the way around (24 HDC total). Join to beginning CH 1 with a SL ST.
- Round 3: CH 1. In the next stitch, work 1 HDC (counts as first HDC). Work 1 HDC in each stitch around (24 HDC total). Join to beginning CH 1 with a SL ST.
- Round 4 (increasing round): CH 1 (counts as first HDC). In next stitch, work 2 HDC. *In next stitch, work 1 HDC. In next stitch, work 2 HDC.* Repeat from * all the way around (36 HDC total). Join to beginning CH 1 with a SL ST.
- Round 5: (make this another increasing round if you want the hat to be bigger for child older than 3 years, otherwise continue the instructions outside of the parenthesis – 1 HDC, 1 HDC, 2 HDC all the way around). CH 1, in the next stitch, work 1 HDC. Work 1 HDC in each stitch around (36 total HDC).
(switch colors now)
Join your new color to the opposite side of where you ended the last round. Join with a SL ST and CH 1.
Work 3 HDC in the same ST, and CH 1.
- SK 2 HDC spaces.
- *Work 4 HDC in the next stitch and CH 1.
- SK 2 HDC spaces.*
- Repeat from * all the way around and join to beginning CH 1 with a SL ST.
Repeat rows of this Granny Stitch until your hat reaches its desired height!
How to Change Colors
Continue to join in a different place than the previous color and follow the directions above to change colors for each round.
To Keep the Same Color
In order to keep the same color, eliminate the last CH 1 and join to beginning Granny Stitch with a SL ST. Next, CH 1 and work 3 HDC in same space (it’s a little awkward feeling, but it evens out as you work your way around and makes a seamless join!).
Crochet Sun Hat Brim Pattern
To work the brim for this free crochet granny stitch sun hat pattern, click here to see my photo tutorial and pattern.