Sugar Love Baby Blanket – Free Crochet Pattern

A free crochet pattern for a girly and sweet baby blanket that’s textured and fun!

Sugar Love Crochet Baby Blanket - Free Crochet Pattern

As you may know already, I have three kids and they are ALL boys. I love my boys to pieces and wouldn’t trade them for a million girls, BUT I sure do long to buy those girly clothes and crochet girly things. Thankfully, my sister just had a baby girl, so now I can go to town! She’s gonna be spoiled, starting with the baby hats I crocheted for her and now this blanket.

This blanket uses many different stitches and textures so it is so interesting to look at and feel. I love how it turned out! Remember to use the green “Print Friendly” button at the bottom of the post to print the pattern easily.

Free Crochet Pattern for a Sugary Sweet Baby Girl Blanket from My Merry Messy Life

Crochet Sugar Love Baby Blanket

Written and designed by Sara of My Merry Messy Life ©2013. Please do not copy this pattern, but you are free to link to it and use it to sell your own handmade items. For more info, see my Legal page.

Abbreviations

• chain = CH
  • half double crochet = HDC
  • Refer to the stitches used below for the rest of the abbreviations

Stitches Used in the Pattern

• Bobble Stitch – *Yarn over, insert hook into space and pull up a loop. Yarn over and pull through 2 loops. Repeat from * four more times. Then yarn over and pull through all the remaining loops.
  • Pucker Stitch – Treble crochet in one space, single crochet in next space.
  • Cluster V-Stitch – See my full photo tutorial on the cluster v, or it’s just – *Yarn over, insert hook into space and pull up a loop (3 loops on hook). Yarn over, and pull through 2 loops (2 loops remain). Yarn over, insert hook into same space and pull up a loop (4 loops remain). Yarn over and pull through two loops, then yarn over and pull through the remaining 3 loops. CH 1. Repeat from * but do not CH 1 again.

Materials

Sugar Love Crochet Baby Blanket - Close-Up of the Stitches Used

The Pattern

How this Pattern Works – Important Tips

This blanket is comprised of several different stitches – the cluster-v, bobble, pucker, half double crochet, and mesh. The most important thing is that your beginning completed first row is divisible by both 2 and 3, I chose 72 half double crochet stitches (after a chain of 75). Then, you can hop around to all the different stitches creating whatever look you want! Each project will be unique. I provide instructions on how to work a half double crochet row after each special stitch row in case you get confused. The second most important thing is that you count your stitches to make sure it stays the same. Whenever I got lazy and didn’t do it, the blanket would start getting smaller or bigger and I’d have to frog it and start counting again. Nothing more frustrating than that!

• CH 75 (or any number that is divisible by 2 and 3, plus 3 chain at the end)
  • In the 3rd CH from hook, HDC
  • 1 HDC in each space all the way down (72 HDC total)
  • Any combination of the following stitches. One I did often was:

Sugar Love Crochet Baby Blanket - Free Pattern at My Merry Messy Life

How to Work the Pucker Stitch Row

• CH 1
  • SC in same space
  • *TR in the next space
  • SC in the next space
  • Repeat from * all the way down (72 stitches total)

How to Work the Cluster V-Stitch Row

• CH 3
  • DC in same space
  • SK 2 spcaes
  • *Work a cluster v-stitch in the next space
  • Skip 2 spaces
  • Repeat from * all the way down, but end with just a double crochet in the last space

How to Work the Bobble Row (make sure to work it on the WRONG side so the bobble pops out on the right side)

• CH 1
  • SC in same space
  • SC in next space
  • *Work a bobble stitch in the next space
  • SC in the next 2 spaces
  • Repeat from * all the way down

HDC after Bobble Row

Even though the bobble stitch is worked on the wrong side, I found it was easiest to work on the wrong side again for the HDC row after the bobble row. So, CH 2, and HDC in the same first space. Then, work 1 HDC in each space all the way down. It is tricky to find each space, but look for the chain at the top of the row to see where to put your hook and know that it’s 3 stitches per bobble.

Mesh Row

• CH 3
  • DC in same space
  • DC in next space
  • CH 1
  • SK 1 space
  • DC in next space
  • DC in next space
  • CH 1
  • SK 1 space
  • Repeat from * all the way down, ending with a DC in the last 2 spaces

HDC after Mesh Row

When doing a HDC after a mesh row, work 2 HDC’s in the CH 1 space, and only 1 HDC in between the two double crochets of the mesh row.

Cluster V-Stitch Row

• CH 3
  • Double crochet in the same space
  • SK 1 space
  • Work a cluster v-stitch in the next space
  • Skip 2 spaces
  • *Work a cluster v-stitch in the next space
  • Skip 2 spaces
  • Repeat from * all the way down, ending with a DC in the last space

HDC after V-Stitch Row

When doing a HDC after a cluster v-stitch row, work 2 HDC’s in the CH 1 space of the cluster-v, and only 1 HDC in between the cluster-v’s

Sugar Love Crochet Baby Blanket Tutorial for the Border

Leave all the tails loose as you crochet. Then, crochet 4 rows for the border

How to Crochet the Border

• 1 HDC in each space all the way around, but 3 HDC in one of the stitches of the corners
  • Make 4 of those rows
  • Then fold over, tuck the tails in as you whip stitch the border closed with the same colored yarn to cover up the tails.

Sugar Love Crochet Baby Blanket Pattern - Close-Up of the Border

Another shot of the border:

Crochet Baby Blanket Free Pattern - Close-up of the border

Make the matching hats to go with the blanket!

Sugar Love Crochet Baby Beanie - Free Crochet Pattern via My Merry Messy Life

Knitting Supplies at Craftsy.com

Print Friendly
About Sara McFall

Sara is the owner and founder of My Merry Messy Life, which started in 2011 as a way to chronicle her journey to a natural, chemical-free lifestyle and to share her passions of mothering, real food, homeschooling and crochet. She is a mama to three precious and energetic little boys and wife to a university professor who loves to sing, dance ballet and ballroom, and live simply and naturally.

Beautycounter - My Favorite Natural Cosmetics Company

Comments

1. Helen Charbonneau says:

Thanks!!

2. Leigh MacDonald says:

That’s lovely! I’m sure she’ll cherish it.

3. It’s a beautiful blanket thank you for sharing. 🙂
    Linda recently posted..Christmas Tree’sMy Profile

4. Christiana Kirkham says:

This is beautiful! Thanks for sharing!!

5. Mitzi Trenz-Christian says:

Thanks so much for sharing your blanket pattern with us. As the mother of 3 grown sons (and no daughters) I can really appreciate your “going to town” with your sister’s baby girl..lol. I have my first grandchild, and as “luck” would have it…the baby’s a girl. I’ve already made her Moogly’s bobble blanket, for those cold MN winters, this will make a nice change — something a little lighter, perhaps, but still warmth when needed. 🙂

6. I like the border idea and want to do it on a blanket that I am finishing for Christmas.
    Is the whip stitch just done with a sewing needle and yarn or is this a crochet stitch that I’m no aware of?

I’m looking forward to starting this blanket after the holidays.

• Hi Pam! Yes, this is just a regular ole whip stitch, like in sewing – over, under, over, under. Nothing special about it. Sorry I’m replying after Christmas – took some time off to be with my family! Hope you were able to get the blanket done.

• No worries…I appreciate the reply. Yarn is 50% of today, so I’m headed to the store soon.
        Can’t wait to make this blanket (and I don’t even have a baby in mind).

7. I love this sweet blanket! My friend will be having a baby this summer and I’m scouting the perfect blanket to make for her. This one would be perfect! Lovely. 🙂
    Amy recently posted..sweetMy Profile

8. I love your sugar love baby blanket! Your selection of stitches and colors are so gorgeous! I have a baby girl grandchild coming Feb1 and plan to make this wonderful modern pattern. Shopping at the store today for the colors listed though left me with some questions if you have a minute. You listed Caron colors of soft pink, lavender blue, pistachio,berry blue, orchid, white but those colors do not seem to match the photos of the blanket. It looks like you used a rose or darker pink and a darker blue. I so want the blanket to look just like yours! Thanks for any help you can give me!

• Hi Carol! Well, the colors in the photos appears differently on different screens. I did double check and those are the colors. I love that you want to make it just like mine 🙂 and thank you so much for the sweet compliments! Would love you to post a picture on my Facebook page of your finished product when you’re done!

• Thanks so much for your quick response! I now have all my colors and will definitely post a photo when done! Thanks for sharing a great pattern and design. So creative!!

9. So beautiful, glad you were able to get your girly crochet fix in! I shared with my crochet club and they love it! I am going to try this in darker colors and double it up starting with ch 150! Thanks again!

10. Do you have a tutorial video for sugar love baby blanket?

11. I was looking at your sugar love baby blanket and hat, but the colors lavendar blue and orchid are very similar. Your don’t mention what the orange is? Can you please double check the colors? Thank you!

12. I have started my blanket but I am doing two of them. My great granddaughter lives the blankets I make and just looking at it she kept saying, “Mine, Gma? Pretty – mine, yes?”. How could I say no? And my 23rd grandchild, a boy, was just born and I am making him one in boy colors. Working up great!! Thank you so much for sharing!!

13. What a lovely baby blanket. Can you tell me how big it is? You do beautiful work.

• Ooo, good question. I’ve given it away, so this is a rough guess. I think it’s about 2 1/2 feet wide by 3 feet tall, maybe even a little bit bigger than that. Perfect for a baby – my sister uses it as a car seat blanket and it’s kept her warm this very cold winter.

14. Hello. I am an old Grandfather and Great Grandfather who has been crocheting since I was 15 years old. Thank you for this pattern. Have a new Great Granddaughter that I wanted to make this ensemble for. You did not mention the number of skeins for each color. I you would please, would you let me know how many of each color you used? Thank you.

Grandpa Gene

• Hi there, Gene! How cool, I’ve yet to get a comment from a grandfather, so this is really special. I love that you’ve been crocheting since you were 15! You must be a master by now. You could start your own crochet blog! 🙂 Ah yes, I used 1 skein of each color, but they are 6 ounces skeins each.

• Thank you for your reply…helps loads. No, I am no master….some things I still do not understand but guess that is with age. I’ll leave the blogging up to you younger folks. Thanks again.

Gene

15. Hi Sara,
    Thank you for sharing this attractive blanket! I love it, and it is exactly what I’m looking for…for my friend who is having a girl and loves bright colors/jewel tones and a whimsical theme. I’ve been searching for a unique pattern that will show off 6 or 7 bright colors and I believe this will be perfect.
    You are so smart with the border!! I love how you found a way to avoid having to weave in the ends for all of those color changes. I look forward to making it. 🙂
    –annie

16. This is such a nice tutorial. I love you color & stitch co-ordination. I’m going to make one for my niece. Thank you for sharing. Greetings

17. Bettie G says:

I love the pattern! Do you turn at the end of each row? The combinations you used as examples and also the pictures do not show the Cluster V. How and where did you use it and with what combination? Thanks.

18. This is a beautiful baby afghan and the colors are beautiful. I know that the size can be made to suit but I wondered what the finished dimensions are for your particular pattern. I think I would like to make a larger version but wanted to know what your pattern dimensions were before I make estimations for the larger one.

19. Confused! It looks like there are two sets of instructions for the Cluster V Stitch. In the first one the third step is Skip 2 spaces. In the second one the third step is Skip 1 space. Which is correct?
    You give specific instructions for doing a HDC row after all of the Special Stitches but the Pucker Stitch. Are there specific instructions for it?
    Do you do a HDC row after each Special Stitch row?
    Do you turn the blanket at the end of each row, or is everything but the Bobble Stitch and following HCD row done on the RS?
    Sorry for so many questions! I just love this blanket!! It looks yummy enough to eat it up. I have chosen six colors that will be great for a boy’s blanket. Two ladies in my precious Bible study group are about to be grandmothers to baby boys. I can’t wait to make this blanket for them.
    Thank you for such a beautifully textured blanket that is so colorful – it really makes the beauty of each stitch stand out
    Looking forward to your answers!

20. I love the blanket and the border. I hate, hate, hate weaving in all those ends! 🙂 I do have a question, though. When folding over the border and doing the whip stitch, what happens in the corners? Are they super bulky and hard to manage the fold-over? I can’t really tell from the pictures how you manage to make the border look so uniform even in the corners. Thanks for the pattern – I can’t wait to start picking out colors and start one of my own!

• Hi there! No, surprisingly there weren’t too bulky. I folded one side down, then the other, and it was fine! You could add a nice button to each corner, or a bow or something like that to cover it up, which I was planning on doing. But in the end, I felt like it didn’t actually need anything!

21. Marci McGreevy says:

I was wondering what the finished size of your blanket is?

22. I have been searching for the perfect blanket to make for a friend. This is it! Thank you for sharing this beautiful pattern.

23. What an adorable blanket….I have tried one very similar and I have made the hat a couple of times. I have one question, are you turning each row or working from right to left on all rows? I have read through the directions a couple of times so I thought I would just ask…Love your pattern and tutorial. Can’t wait to get started on one. Thanks for sharing.

24. Thania Ortiz says:

Sugar Love Baby Blanket – Free Crochet Pattern
    Is there away you can make a video on how to make this blanket?

25. I am making a pair of these for twins on their way… the boy blanket is done and it’s amazingly pretty. I am so happy with this pattern, I don’t think I’ll ever want to make another for babies. It’s a lot of fun, and fairly stress-free. Thank you so much for posting it! And if you want a photo, please let me know…I’d be thrilled to share it.

26. i was kind of lost on the part where u tuck the tails in….says to fold over and tuck the tails in as u whip stitch the border closed…how is the border not closed…kind of lost on this part…beautiful blanket making it for my granddaughter

27. What a lovely blanket! I think I’ll try one.

28. what a beautiful mess you make! lol I love your stiches. When I was young I made a serapy of similar stiches; but, my teenage daughter lost it. ALAS! Now I want to create another one. Do you, by any chance have a pattern for one?

29. Hi Sara , How much yarn in grams would I need for each colour of this beautiful blanket. Thank you Christine

30. I love the blanket, but when I clicked on the green “print friendly” button, I got text but no pictures.

• Hi Shirley! When I click on the button, the pictures do show up on my browser. So, it’s probably your browser. I have Google Chrome. What are you using?