Free Crochet Cape Cod Sun Hat Pattern for Babies
Here is a free crochet cape cod sun hat pattern for babies! Your little sailor will be fit for the Cape! He’ll look so cute and sophisticated and ready to set sail with the lobster appliqué, plus he’ll be protected from the sun.
Crochet sun hats are so easy and fun to make, especially when you can add cute appliqués and embellishments. Even little boys can have cute hats, too, and I was inspired by an adorable hat on littlelids.com and made my own version, which I’ve named, Cape Cod. I can see a baby boy playing in the sand on the beach wearing this hat, or romping down the coast, picking up seashells. The little crab is my own pattern, too, and can be found for free, at this link.
This Double Crochet Hat Pattern Fits a Baby
This free crochet cape cod sun hat pattern will fit a baby about 6 to 12 months, or with a 16 to 18 inch head (it does not fit my baby’s head, and he has an 18 inch head) (see my list of crochet head and hat measurements and how to calculate them). To make the hat larger, add more increasing rounds to the crown. To make it smaller, take away an increasing round. I have marked the increasing rounds below.
See my tutorial to learn how to work in the round.
Free Crochet Cape Cod Sun Hat Pattern (6 to 12 months)
- Hook: G/6 4.25 mm (see this really nice hook set)
- Yarn: Worsted, Medium, 4
- I used Red Heart Super Saver in White and Royal Blue
- Tapestry needle to sew in tails
- Scissors to cut the tails
- SL ST = slip stitch
- DC = double crochet
- CH = chain
- ST = stitch
Crown of Crochet Cape Cod Sun Hat
- CH 3, join with a SL ST to form a ring
- Round 1: CH 2 (counts as first DC). Work 11 DC in ring (12 DC total). Join to beginning CH 2 with a SL ST (I like to join at the top of the CH 2, where it attaches to the next DC).
- Round 2: CH 2 (counts as first DC). Work a DC in the same stitch. Then work 2 DC in each DC space around (24 DC total). Join to beginning CH 2 with a SL ST.
- Round 3: (increasing round) (change colors here) CH 2. Work a DC in the same stitch. Then, work 1 DC in the next space. Work 2 DC in the next space. Join to beginning CH 2 with a SL ST. (36 DC total).
Side of Hat
Rounds 4-9: Work 1 DC in each space around, joining each round with a SL ST and CH 2, and changing colors each round. To change colors, join with a SL ST, CH 2, and DC in the next stitch.
Crochet Sun Hat Brim Pattern
This brim is worked differently than the other boy’s sun hats I’ve done. It has less wave to it, and looks more like a boat hat.
- Round 1: DC in same ST. 1 DC in each of the next 3 spaces. *2 DCs in next space. 1 DC in each of the next 3 spaces.* Repeat from * around. Join with beginning CH 2 with a SL ST.
- Round 2-3: (now add an increasing stitch every 2 spaces.) CH 2, DC in same space. 1 DC in each of the next 2 spaces. *DC in next space. 1 DC in each of the next 2 spaces. Repeat from * around. Join with beginning CH 2 with a SL ST.
- Continue adding increasing rounds if you want your hat brim to be longer. It will start to curl under if you add rounds that do not increase.
Free Crochet Crab Applique Pattern
You can find my free crochet pattern for the cute little crab here.