Crochet Shell Headband {free crochet pattern}

As I was doing the shell edging on my little girl purse (see the post here), I thought it would make a very nice headband for a little girl. So, after many attempts and some math figuring, here’s what I came up with! It’s fairly simple, but looks so elegant and sweet. There are millions of flower patterns online, but see my post on another headband to craft my favorite flower so far.
Here’s a PDF of the file if you want it all nice and neat for printing!
Crochet Shell Headband - Free Pattern!

Written By: Sara of My Merry Messy Life http://www.mymerrymessylife.com,

Abbreviations

• CH = chain
  • SL = slip stitch
  • DC = double crochet

Materials

Headband Measurements

• Newborn 13″
  • 3-6 months 14″
  • 6-12 months 16″
  • 12 months-tween 17.5″
  • Adult 18″
Headband Measurement

The Pattern

Chain to the length desired, but it must be divisible by 4, then add 3 chains at the end. For example, I wanted to make one for a 6-12 month old baby, so I chained 44, then added 3 at the end, for a total of 47 chains. The example below is for a newborn.
Make sure your chains are nice and loose because you will work on the top and bottom of them.
Make a Chain for the Headband
  • In the third chain from the hook, work 3 DC in the same CH.
  • Skip a CH, and work a SL in the next CH.
  • Skip a CH, and work 4 DC in the next stitch.
  • *Skip a CH, and work a SL in the next stitch.
  • Skip a CH, and work 4 DC in the next stitch.*
  • Repeat from * to the end, making sure to end with a shell (4 DC).
  • Turn your work around, and see pictures below for continuing on the bottom. Work the first shell into the same chain (but on the bottom) of where you worked the last shell on the top.
Crochet Chart for the Shell Headband

After working the last shell on the top, turn your work around and work another shell in the same chain.
Photo Tutorial for the Crochet Shell Headband - Step 1
Here’s what your headband should look like once you’ve turned it, worked a shell on the end, and started to continue around.
Photo Tutorial for the Crochet Shell Headband
Here’s a close up of how you work the other side of your headband on the bottom. You create a new shell from the shell below it.
Photo Tutorial for the Crochet Shell Headband - Step 3
The last shell and end should look like this – one shell on the top, one on the bottom. Join the last shell to the first one with a SL. Fasten off and sew in the ends, leaving a tail to sew the headband together.
Photo Tutorial for the Crochet Shell Headband - Step 4
Photo Tutorial for the Crochet Shell Headband - Free Pattern!
This headband would go perfectly with the Sweet Pea Beanie!
Free Crochet Pattern for a Sweet Pea Beanie
Print Friendly

Comments

1. Very nice :-D

2. Thank you! Let me know if you have any questions!

3. I found this pattern via Ravelry and it’s so adorable! I am looking for patterns for my friend’s one month old daughter and this one looks so pretty but still seems simple. I am now your newest follower :) I look forward to you future crochet projects!

Christine @ Projectsaroundthehouse.blogspot.com

4. Thank you for visiting and joining, Christine! I checked out your blog, too, and it’s really nice! I also became a follower and saw you’re quite the crocheter yourself. This is a simple project – works up very quickly.

5. do we have permission to sell finished products made from this patter?? i just made one and i absolutely love it :) i make props for photographers in my area and this would be great for newborns :)

• Yes, its fine with me if you sell it. Thank you for asking! I only ask that if you post a picture of your work online that you link the pattern back to me. Thank you for stopping by!

6. Thank you – this is lovely!

7. Anonymous says:

Thank you so much for this simple yet so beautiful tutorial! I have just made up 3 in different colours in about 30 minutes. Adorable.

8. Anonymous says:

Awesome pattern! So quick with beautiful results!

9. Anonymous says:

Hi! I love your work. Thanks for sharing. Blessings.

10. Anonymous says:

So cute love it thank you

11. Anonymous says:

For the Newborn pattern, how many chains did you begin with??

love this pattern, cant wait to make it!

MK

• That’s a good question, and I didn’t make it for a newborn, however, for a 6 month old, I chained 44. You need it to be one inch smaller, so I suggest chaining 40 instead. You might even have to do 36, depending on your gauge and yarn. Let me know if you need more help!

• Thanks for stopping by and commneting!That’s awesome that you’re hitting the gym 6 days a week. The schedule has been crazy lately so I’ve been trying to just keep up with my usual 5. But I was excited to meet a goal through the Wellness program and just earned a free hour of personal training. I’m excited! And scared! :)Hope to see you back!

12. Anonymous says:

thanks for sharing :D

13. Thank you so much … simple pattern, easy to follow tutorial.

14. Thanks for this : ) super cute! I am just a beginner at crochet, but I was able to understand the pattern and the “turn around” once I read the directions a few times. I am making one for my daughter, due in November. Just a few more stitches left! I also plan on making one for my new niece- she was born at 25 weeks, but is now a 5 LB baby.

: )

• Great, thanks for sharing that with me! I’d love for you to email me a picture of your project when you’re finished, or send me one on my Facebook page :). Wow, I can’t believe your niece was born at 25 weeks! Very scary.

15. I have a question. Does the length include the 3 chains or no? I am making a 3/6 month for my daughter and I had to chain 48..I guess that is as a result in our tensions? Thanks.

• This comment has been removed by the author.

• Thank you so much for sharing this pattern. Made one tonight for my 8 year old granddaughter. It turned out beautiful. I’m looking forward to visiting your site often!

• Hi Teresa! No, the 3 chains at the end serves as the first double crochet, so it does not add to the length. Yeah, the difference in the length might be our tensions, but it could also be different yarn (assuming you’re using the same hook size I did). You know how different worsted weight yarns can seem very different in size? Some are much thicker than others, but are still categorized in the same weight. So maybe your yarn is a thinner weight than mine.

16. Bravissima!!! Grazie per il pattern.

17. Yaay! Looked around for a few days looking for the perfect pattern to attempt to match the scalloped scarf I made my daughter. This was very easy (I just starte crocheting ) and came out perfectly. Thanks!

18. Hi,
    I also found this pattern via Ravelry. Today I found out that our little neighbor tomorrow will celebrate her first birthday. So I decided to make a little gift to her. That headband was exactly what I’m looking for. I added a flower and I didn’t join to a circle because I want it to be adjustable. I hope 52 stitches to be enough.

19. Thanks fro sharing your fun little headband. I attached a tie at each end instead of closing it off to make a “hippie” headband for my granddaughter and she loves it!! It only took a few minutes to whip up and they are so cute. I will make more of these.

20. Love this and it was very easy!! I do have one question I’m stuck!! I have finished all the shells and am a lil confused do I finish it off then sew it together or do I need to somehow connect the ends together then finish off? Sorry just started learning and not sure what to do or even how to see it together if I do finish it off now!

21. I found this pattern and your website through Ravelry. What an adorable headband! Thank you so much for sharing the pattern.
    Penny recently posted..Oak Apple Gall, More Baby Chicks, And Other StuffMy Profile

22. thank u soo much for such an easy pattern…n d most pretty patternn…

23. Brittany says:

Hi there! Love this pattern. I used it for a custom order headband and added a flower to it! You can see pictures here:

Thanks for sharing!

24. Hi

I have just spotted your website and are totally in love with all your things. Can´t wait to get started and I will follow your site as a “stalker” :)

Thank You so much for such wonderful patterns. They are really beautiful.

Have a nice day (here it is 02.26 in the morning)

Greetings from Denmark <3

June
    June recently posted..Del din mening og tjen på detMy Profile

25. Thank you for this pattern. I found you on Ravelry and didn’t even get a chance to add the project to my queue since it worked up so quickly. I’m going to add a couple of flowers and use it to go with my daughter’s Easter dress.

26. Thank you, it’s very nice ( from Vietnam)

27. Thanks a lot! Very cute, adorable and simple! :)

28. So cute and lovely! Even if I’m not that good at crochet this looks not that difficult! thank you very much for the pattern!
    Mary recently posted..Here we are…My Profile

29. Just a quick question. After you turn the work, do you work in the additional DC and SS in the same space, or the space on the other side? Because it is a chain, let’s say there are openings on the left and the right. If the right are full, do I fill now on the right or go to the left space?

I have finished two circle on the left space, but it leave yarn in the middle of the circle. In the pictures, you don’t have that.

Sorry if this is confusing! Just let me know.

• I ended up just putting them both in the same space because it looked better. Finished it up with a butterfly decal and it will be beautiful for my neice!

30. Thanks for this awesome pattern. I just finished 2 for my girls. They were so easy and your pattern was perfect.

31. Kathryn Reilly Nussbaum says:

Thank you f or a wonderful pattern – It is adorable! I’m going to make a lot of these.

32. Fantastic just made this for my Great grandaughter, thank you for the pattern

33. thank you for sharing the pattern.
    I’m going to make one for my daughter and another for a niece :)

34. ali mcdonough says:

Love this pattern! Made it in about 15 minutes and it looks adorable on my 3 week old. Thanks for sharing it!
    ali/MrsMcD918-on Ravelry