This grain-free chocolate coconut banana pancake recipe is low carb, sweetened with banana and honey (no sugar!), satisfying and nutritious! Who woulda thought pancakes could be so delicious and so good for you at the same time?!
Now that I've been on the GAPS diet for a few months, I've really seen an improvement in energy, concentration, overall outlook on life, eczema, weight loss…and more! In short, it has been the best thing I've done for my health in a very long time. It's based on a book by Dr. Natasha Campbell called Gut and Psychology Syndrome (where to buy) – a phenomenal book, I highly recommend it.
Finding Tasty Grain Free Pancakes Recipes Isn't Easy
So, finding recipes that are grain and sugar free can be quite challenging, as it's not a mainstream diet. I've finally gotten comfortable cooking this new way to the point where I'm able to create my own recipes. Here's one I threw together the other day, and they turned out SO delicious and filling!
Eating a grain and sugar free diet can really help lower inflammation in the body, and inflammation is the root cause of all disease. I went grain free for a year and a half to heal my eczema and it worked!
Coconut products are so healthy, so I jammed packed this recipe with all its goodness, which adds more natural sweetness.
Bananas, coconut and chocolate for breakfast! Shhh….don't tell your mom! Oh wait, they're nutritious!Print
Chocolate Coconut Banana Pancakes Recipe – Grain-Free and Nutritious!
Chocolate coconut banana pancakes recipe that's a grain, gluten, sugar and dairy free treat – also GAPS and Paleo diet friendly! A real treat that's actually nourishing, nutritious and delicious.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- 6 eggs
- 2 large ripe bananas, or 3 small ripe bananas (with brown spots), mashed
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk (see my tutorial for coconut milk here)
- 1 tbsp. raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp. raw honey or stevia (can also use Grade B maple syrup but it's not GAPS approved)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut flakes
- 1/2 tsp. Pink Himalayan salt or Celtic sea salt
- Optional: add regular or vegan chocolate chips or fresh or frozen berries
- Tablespoon of coconut oil, grass-fed butter, or ghee
- Turn on the stove to medium heat and drop a tablespoon of coconut oil or butter in the pan.
- Mash the bananas first.
- Then, to be honest, I do the rest of it the lazy way – combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk or mix with hand mixer until all the coconut flour chunks are gone.
- Otherwise, you could mix the wet ingredients in one bowl, and the dry in another, then combine, but my kids are usually begging for food at this point and I gotta make it happen, baby!
- Fry in a cast iron or stainless steel skillet (neither are toxic, unlike teflon pans) that's already heated to medium heat. They brown very quickly, so the lower the heat the better.
- Flip as soon as they are cooked enough to do so, or they will blacken.
Yum, yum. These are so filling between the eggs and coconut flour you get a lot of protein and good fats. Enjoy!