A free crochet pattern for an adorable granny stitch sun hat for a baby girl! This pattern is also available in a toddler sizes – click here for that pattern. It works up quickly and will keep the sun off of precious little faces.
After making several sun hats that accidentally fit toddlers (I was actually trying to make them for babies and failed three times in a row!), I finally figured out a pattern using the Granny Stitch to make for babies about 3-6 months, or for about a 14 to 17 inch lil’ noggin’. The crochet sun hat brim pattern can be found here.
Free Crochet Granny Stitch Sun Hat Pattern for a Baby Girl
Written and Designed by Sara of My Merry Messy Life
(This pattern is copyrighted and is not to be sold or reprinted without my permission)
- Worsted Weight (Medium, 4) yarn in either cotton or acrylic. Here I used Red Heart Super Saver Perfect Pink and in White.
- Hook: G, 4.25 mm (get a nice hook set here)
- Tapestry needle to sew in tails
- CH = chain
- HDC = half double crochet
- ST = stitch
- SL ST = slip stitch
- beg = beginning
(Read my other post, “How to Work in the Round“, for more help)
Granny Stitch Sun Hat Pattern
CH 3, SL ST to form ring
- Round 1: CH 2, 10 HDC in ring (11 HDC total), join with SL ST to beg CH 2
- Round 2: CH 2, 2 HDC in each st around (22 HDC total), join with SL ST to beg CH 2
- Round 3: CH 2, 2 HDC, 1 HDC, 1 HDC all the way around UNTIL the last stitch. After completing the 2, 1, 1 HDC, do 2 HDC in the last stitch (30 HDC total), join with SL ST to beg CH 2
- Round 4: CH 2, 1 HDC in each stitch around (30 HDC total), join with a SL ST (if continuing to use the same color for the granny stitch, then CH 2 now. If changing colors, then you will CH 2 in Round 5).
Now work about 9 rows of the Granny Stitch, with 10 of them in each row. See my other post for a complete photo tutorial of the Granny Stitch. Here are the written instructions:
Rounds 5 to 13 (Granny Stitch):
- (If changing colors, read this. If not, skip to the next step). Join your new color to the opposite side of where you ended the last round with a SL ST and CH 2.
- 3 HDC in the same ST, CH 1
- SK 2 HDC spaces
- *Work 4 HDC in the next stitch and CH 1
- SK 2 HDC spaces*
- Repeat from * all the way around and join to beginning CH 2 with a SL ST.
The hat should measure about 5.5 inches tall,
and be about 15 inches in circumference (or 7.5 when folded in half).
You can do all kinds of crazy things with color in this hat. Want to see my free crochet granny stitch sun hat pattern for toddlers? Click Here.
Brim Pattern for this Free Granny Stitch Sun Hat for Babies
For the full brim pattern and photo tutorial, click here. If you don’t need Here is just the pattern:
Round 1: If attaching a new color for the brim, then attach with a SL ST and CH 1. In the next stitch, crochet 1 HDC. Work 1 HDC in each stitch around. (The picture does not reflect this round. It is optional.)
If using the same color, CH 1 and do the same as above – in the next stitch, work 1 HDC. Work 1 HDC in each stitch around.
For both – join to beginning CH 1 with a SL ST, and CH 1.
Round 2: In the next stitch, work 2 HDC (in the same stitch). Then, *work 1 HDC in the next stitch. Work 2 HDC in the next stitch.* Repeat from * around & join with beginning CH 1 with a SL ST. Join to beginning CH 1 with a SL ST, and CH 1.
Round 3: In the next stitch, work 1 HDC. In the next stitch, work 2 HDC (in the same stitch). Repeat this pattern all the way around – 1 HDC, 1 HDC, 2 HDC. Join to beginning CH 1 with a SL ST, and CH 1.
Rounds 4 & 5: Work 1 HDC in each stitch around. in to beginning CH 1 with a SL ST, and fasten off.
Merry Crocheting and fun in the sun!
This pattern is featured on Tipnut.com.