A recipe for a homemade pillow spray using essential oils that you can make in just a few minutes! Pillow sprays make great gifts and are so easy to make and use. They can help you to fall asleep faster and keep those dreams sweeter.
I love keeping this sweet smelling pillow spray on my bedside table to use before I crawl into my cozy bed at night. It makes falling asleep that much easier and so pleasant!
This is so easy to make and use, and is actually effective when you use high quality essential oils like the ones I use from Young Living!
How Does it Work?
The aroma of essential oils affects the limbic system of the brain, which is the part that controls memories and emotions. We can literally calm anxious, worrying thoughts, and help to change negative thoughts into positive ones.
Northern Lights Black Spruce is one of my favorite essential oils! I like to say that it smells like a magical fairy forest (LOL). But for real – it really does! I feel like deep in the woods. It comes from Young Living’s farm in British Columbia, Canada where the Northern Lights, the Aurora Borealis, literally dance over the spruce trees…wow!
Lavender is good for everything! Young Living has lavender farms in Mona, Utah; St. Marie’s, Idaho, and in France! You can really tell the difference between a Young Living lavender and a cheap one – as it’s one of the most adulterated essential oils on the market. I digress.. lavender is very calming, relaxing and soothing and makes for a great linen spray.
How to Make It
- 4 oz glass spray bottle
- 6 drops Northern Lights Black Spruce oil
- 6 drops lavender essential oil
- Pinch of table salt (finer salt works best)
- Optional cute label from The Oil Drop Shop
- Put the pinch of salt in the bottom of the spray bottle
- Add the essential oils
- Add the water
- So easy a baby can do it!
Other Calming Essential Oils to Try
- Ylang Ylang
- Vetiver (does have some color to it, use with darker fabrics)
- Dream Catcher (blend of Royal Hawaiian sandalwood, tangerine, yang slang, pepper, bergamot, anise, juniper, geranium, Blue cypress, Davana, Jasmine, Matricaria, blue tansy, rose, grapefruit, spearmint, lemon, and ocotea)
- Gathering (blend of lavender, Northern Lights Black spruce, geranium, frankincense, Royal Hawaiian Sandalwood, Ylang yang, vetiver, cinnamon, and rose.)
- Grounding (blend of White fir, Black spruce, Ylang yang, Pine, Cedarwood, Angelica, and Juniper)
- Stress Away (blend of Copaiba, lime, cedar wood, vanilla, ocotea, and lavender)
How to Use It
Just spray right onto your pillow! I like to also spray my pajamas and the sheets as I just loooove the aroma and it really relaxes me. You can also make a few sprays for your kids and have them spray their own pillows before bedtime.
Another idea would be to just diffuse these oils, which is super dee duper easy!