This is a good ole' chicken pot pie recipe, southern style! It's hearty and very tasty, with added spices and a homemade multigrain baking mix that's sure to please the whole family.
I cut out the canned cream of condensed chicken soup (Ever taken a second to read the ingredients? It's like reading a chemistry report – YIKES!) and used my own homemade multigrain baking mix to make this healthy and real, good for the whole family.
Of course, my sous-chef helped me prepare the baking mix, using my WonderMill Grain Mill to grind the whole wheat (get it in bulk from Amazon here). This baking mix makes the most delicious treats because the multi-grain cereal adds a kick of flavor and fiber.Print
Chicken Pot Pie Recipe using Freshly Milled Wheat
This is a hearty, delicious and nutritious recipe using only ingredients!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: One pie
- 2 chicken breasts (about ¾ to 1 lb), diced
- 1 onion or green onion, diced
- 16 oz. frozen organic mixed vegetables (or a mixture of corn, carrots, and peas)
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic salt (with parsley flakes is the best!)
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. dried sage or thyme
- 1 tsp. mustard
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup low-fat cottage cheese or sour cream (for added creaminess, but not necessary)
- 1 cup multigrain wheat baking mix
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- Small handful of sharp cheddar cheese to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Saute the chicken in olive oil, until it's a light golden brown. Or cook it in an Instant Pot.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the pie with the chicken and stir, mixing very well. Pour into a greased, 2-quart baking dish.
- In another bowl, combine the ingredients for the crust, except for the cheese, stirring well. Pour on top of the pie filling.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top of the crust mix. If you would like more flavor, sprinkle paprika on top as well.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.