Today we’re going to dive deep into the FlyLady Zone 3 Cleaning method! This zone covers all of the bathrooms except the master bath. We are going to learn how to consistently keep it clean and decluttered so we can be proud to have guests over and enjoy using it ourselves each and everyday. You’ll get a detailed cleaning list as well. Let’s get started!
Flylady Zone Cleaning Overview
For a complete overview of the FlyLady’s zone cleaning method, check out this post. There I explain the five zones and how they work to help you keep your home clean in just 15 minutes a day!
Also, I recommend learning from the creator of the method, Marla Cilley, in her book, Sink Reflections. The zones are also explained very well there.
How it Works
For 4-5 days a month, 15 minutes each day, you’ll deep clean your bathrooms. Set your timer for 10-15 minutes and choose one item on the list to tackle. Do this once a day. I don’t get around to checking off the whole list each month, and that’s okay! I pick the dirtiest areas or the areas I didn’t clean from the month before. Please do not get caught up in having to clean everything on the list each month – you’ll get burnt out and frustrated because you’ll feel like you’re doing it all wrong. Just get to what you can and leave the rest!
FlyLady Zone 2 Cleaning
The bathrooms include all of the bathrooms in the house except the master bath.
Here is my detailed zone 3 cleaning list. I took what Cilley has in her book, and took ideas from Diane in Denmark’s Zone 3 list. Feel free to copy and paste this into a Word document and use my FREE binder page backgrounds (sign up for my email list below to get those!).
Set timer for 15 minutes once a day or more.
- Scan the room, put things away
- Dust ceiling/corners
- Wipe baseboards
- Dust flat surfaces/window sills
- Wipe door handles/light switches/fingerprints or marks on walls/cabinets
- Shine windows, mirrors
- Detailed vacuum session
- Mop and vacuum
- Detailed shower cleaning
- Detailed countertop cleaning
- Detailed toilet cleaning
- Detailed bathtub cleaning
- Straighten cabinets
- Clean fan
- Clean shower drain cover
- Wash brushes/combs
- Wash makeup brushes
- Refill hand soaps
- Refill body wash
- Clean sponges – either throw away or put in the dishwasher
- Empty bottles
- Raggedy towels/facecloths (donate or cut up and use as rags)
- Medicine, first aid supplies
- Makeup and toiletries
- Bubble bath/shower gel
- Hair products and accessories
- Make list of out of stock items to buy on errand day
- Pick one drawer or one section or shelf of a cabinet to declutter
OUT OF STOCK ITEMS
In each zone list, I keep a place where I can write down things in that zone that are out of stock. Then when I make my grocery list each week, I can add these items to the list, or order them on Amazon. So for Zone 3, I might be adding toothpaste, shower gel, shaving lotion, shampoo, conditioner, etc.
Here I write down anything that needs to be fixed in that zone, and then communicate it with my hubby if I can’t fix it myself. Add items needed for that project to your grocery list to get to on the next errand day!
Natural Cleaning Recipes for Flylady Zone 2 Cleaning
If you’re wanting natural cleaners to clean zone 3, I’ve got you covered! Here are some of my recipes:
- Hardwood and Tile Floor Cleaner Recipe
- All Purpose Cleaner Recipe (for cleaning the toilet, countertops and bathtub)
- Degreasing Spray (for when the shower is especially grimy, also great to use on glass shower doors)
- Toilet Bowl Cleaner
- Glass Cleaner Recipe
My Favorite Cleaning Supplies for Zone 3
- Microfiber dusting cloth (I don’t use a dusting cleaner)
- Microfiber dusting wand
- Flylady Feather duster
- Glass cleaning cloth (don’t need glass cleaner if you have this cloth!)
- Bissell CrossWave to vacuum AND mop hardwoods and tile (I use this every week!)
- ScotchBrite Heavy Duty Sponges
More Cleaning & Decluttering Posts You Might Like!
If you liked this post and would like to learn more about the FlyLady system, check out these other posts on my blog!
- My Top 10 Natural Cleaning Recipes to help you go natural in your home
- How to Make Your Own FlyLady Home Control Journal (and an overview of the system)
- How to Meal Plan Like a Boss to Save Money and Reduce Stress
- Weekly Home Power Cleaning Hour (Weekly Home Blessing)
- All of my Flylady Cleaning, Decluttering and Organizing Posts