How to Deep Clean Your Kitchen, Pantry & Laundry Rooms with FlyLady Zone 2 Cleaning
Today we’re going to dive deep into the FlyLady Zone 2 Cleaning method! This zone covers the heart of our homes – the kitchen, pantry and laundry room! We are going to learn how to consistently keep it clean and decluttered so we can be proud to have guests over and enjoy using it ourselves each and everyday. You’ll get a detailed cleaning list as well. Let’s get started!
Flylady Zone Cleaning Overview
For a complete overview of the FlyLady’s zone cleaning method, check out this post. There I explain the five zones and how they work to help you keep your home clean in just 15 minutes a day!
Also, I recommend learning from the creator of the method, Marla Cilley, in her book, Sink Reflections. The zones are also explained very well there.
How it Works
Set your timer for 10-15 minutes and choose one item on the list to tackle. Do this once a day. I don’t get around to checking off the whole list each month, and that’s okay! I pick the dirtiest areas or the areas I didn’t clean from the month before. Please do not get caught up in having to clean everything on the list each month – you’ll get burnt out and frustrated because you’ll feel like you’re doing it all wrong. Just get to what you can and leave the rest!
I keep these cleaning lists in my Flylady Home Control Journal, or Home Management Binder, as I like to call it. I have a whole post on how to make one of those here!
FlyLady Zone 2 Cleaning
Note – I added the laundry room to this zone because it is right off of my kitchen. It makes sense for me to clean and declutter it at the same time!
Here is my detailed zone 2 cleaning list. I took what Cilley has in her book, and took ideas from Diane in Denmark’s Zone 2 list. Feel free to copy and paste this into a Word document and use my FREE binder page backgrounds (sign up for my email list below to get those!).
Set timer for 15 minutes once a day or more.
- Scan the room, put things away
- Wash tea kettle & French press
- Dust ceiling/corners
- Dust or wipe baseboards
- Dust flat surfaces/window sills
- Wipe kitchen table/legs/chair/legs
- Wipe door handles/light switches/fingerprints or marks on walls
- Shine windows, glass door, mirrors
- Detailed vacuum session (move chairs) and mop
- Wipe down cabinets/handles
- Wipe/clean refrigerator/one shelf or drawer
- Underneath sink/rubbish/recycling
- Wipe down microwave, stove & dishwasher
- Wipe down toaster oven & replace parchment paper
- Wash cutlery holder
- Tidy drawers/cupboards
- Wipe around stove top, oven knobs, and oven door
- Wipe laundry countertop
- Run washer cleaning cycle
- Restock laundry supplies
- Wipe down laundry room countertop
- Mop & vacuum laundry room floor
- Kitchen utensils
- Bowls, pots and pans
- Baking paper/plastic bags/elastic band drawer
- Water bottles/lunch boxes/thermos
- Baking supplies
- Tinned goods/pulses
- Add out of stock or low in stock items to grocery list
- Cleaning supplies, old sponges
- Laundry supplies
OUT OF STOCK ITEMS
In each zone list, I keep a place where I can write down things in that zone that are out of stock. Then when I make my grocery list each week, I can add these items to the list, or order them on Amazon.
Here I write down anything that needs to be fixed in that zone, and then communicate it with my hubby if I can’t fix it myself. Add items needed for that project to your grocery list to get to on the next errand day!
Natural Cleaning Recipes for Flylady Zone 2 Cleaning
If you’re wanting natural cleaners to clean zone 1, I’ve got you covered! Here are some of my recipes:
- Hardwood and Tile Floor Cleaner Recipe
- All Purpose Cleaner Recipe (for wiping down the different surfaces)
- Degreasing Spray (for the stovetop, toaster oven, oven and other tough cleaning jobs)
- Glass Cleaner Recipe
My Favorite Cleaning Supplies for Zone 2
- Microfiber dusting cloth (I don’t use a dusting cleaner)
- Microfiber dusting wand
- Flylady Feather duster
- Glass cleaning cloth (don’t need glass cleaner if you have this cloth!)
- Bissell CrossWave to vacuum AND mop hardwoods and tile (I use this every week!)
- ScotchBrite Heavy Duty Sponges
More Cleaning & Decluttering Posts You Might Like!
If you liked this post and would like to learn more about the FlyLady system, check out these other posts on my blog!
- My Top 10 Natural Cleaning Recipes to help you go natural in your home
- How to Make Your Own FlyLady Home Control Journal (and an overview of the system)
- How to Meal Plan Like a Boss to Save Money and Reduce Stress
- Weekly Home Power Cleaning Hour (Weekly Home Blessing)
- All of my Flylady Cleaning, Decluttering and Organizing Posts