Today we’re going to dive deep into the FlyLady Zone 4 Cleaning method! This zone the entire Master and Mistress suite! The room, closet and bathroom. We are going to learn how to consistently keep it clean and decluttered so we can be proud to have guests over and enjoy using it ourselves each and everyday. You’ll get a detailed cleaning list as well. Let’s get started!
Flylady Zone Cleaning Overview
For a complete overview of the FlyLady’s zone cleaning method, check out this post. There I explain the five zones and how they work to help you keep your home clean in just 15 minutes a day!
Also, I recommend learning from the creator of the method, Marla Cilley, in her book, Sink Reflections. The zones are also explained very well there.
How it Works
For 4-5 days a month you work in just one zone. Each day in that zone, you set your timer for 10-15 minutes and choose one or more items on the list to tackle. Do this once a day. I don’t get around to checking off the whole list each month, and that’s okay! I pick the dirtiest areas or the areas I didn’t clean from the month before. Please do not get caught up in having to clean everything on the list each month – you’ll get burnt out and frustrated because you’ll feel like you’re doing it all wrong. Just get to what you can and leave the rest!
FlyLady Zone 4 Cleaning
The Master & Mistress Bedroom and Bath
Here is my detailed zone 4 cleaning list. I took what Cilley has in her book, and took ideas from Diane in Denmark’s Zone 4 list. Feel free to copy and paste this into a Word document and use my FREE binder page backgrounds (sign up for my email list below to get those!).
For the bathroom, please see the previous post on Flylady zone 3 cleaning and use the same bathroom cleaning list.
Set timer for 15 minutes once a day or more.
- Scan the room, put things away
- Dust ceiling/corners
- Dust fan
- Wipe baseboards
- Detailed vacuum – move chairs, vacuum under bed
- All items under zone 3 (bathrooms) for master bath
The Flylady wisely suggest that you not take out more than you can put back in an hour. In our case, we're trying to stick to 15 minutes. So I'd pick one drawer to declutter to keep it easy and not overwhelming!
- Pick 1 bedside tables
- Bathroom items
- Under bed storage
- Accessories like belts, hats or scarves
OUT OF STOCK ITEMS
In each zone list, I keep a place where I can write down things in that zone that are out of stock. Then when I make my grocery list each week, I can add these items to the list, or order them on Amazon.
Here I write down anything that needs to be fixed in that zone, and then communicate it with my hubby if I can’t fix it myself. Add items needed for that project to your grocery list to get to on the next errand day!
Natural Cleaning Recipes for Flylady Zone 4 Cleaning
If you’re wanting natural cleaners to clean zone 4, I’ve got you covered! Here are some of my recipes:
- Hardwood and Tile Floor Cleaner Recipe
- All Purpose Cleaner Recipe (for wiping down the different surfaces)
- Degreasing Spray (for the stovetop, toaster oven, oven and other tough cleaning jobs)
- Glass Cleaner Recipe
- Toilet Bowl Cleaner
- Baking Soda Scouring Scrub (for the bathtub and shower)
- Degreasing Spray (for the soap scum)
My Favorite Cleaning Supplies for Zone 4
- Shark Rocket Vacuum
- Microfiber dusting cloth (I don’t use a dusting cleaner)
- Microfiber dusting wand
- Glass polishing/cleaning cloth (don’t need glass cleaner if you have this cloth!)
- Bissell CrossWave to vacuum AND mop hardwoods and tile (I use this every week!)
- ScotchBrite Heavy Duty Sponges
- Electric shower cleaning brush (makes it SO much easier)
More Cleaning & Decluttering Posts You Might Like!
If you liked this post and would like to learn more about the FlyLady system, check out these other posts on my blog!
- My Top 10 Natural Cleaning Recipes to help you go natural in your home
- How to Make Your Own FlyLady Home Control Journal (and an overview of the system)
- How to Meal Plan Like a Boss to Save Money and Reduce Stress
- Weekly Home Power Cleaning Hour (Weekly Home Blessing Hour)
- All of my Flylady Cleaning, Decluttering and Organizing Posts